José,

I believe Gus, is referring to a discussion taking place on social media which 
I wish he would respond to there, so that folks would have a crack at 
responding appropriately.

I am enjoying all the bird reports coming through on the list serves and would 
like to keep it that way.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of 
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick 
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu  The Art of War

> (\__/)
> (= '.'=)                                            
> (") _ (")                                     
> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! 

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

> On Jan 4, 2019, at 9:03 PM, Jose Ramirez-Garofalo 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Gus, the listserv didn’t declare war on anyone.. 
> 
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Gus Keri <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It seems there is a campaign against David Barrett’s twitter accounts, 
>> especially the Manhattan Bird alert, trying to discredit him and encouraging 
>> people to stay away from his account. I find this campaign totally unfair to 
>> David.
>> 
>> In a recent internet article, the author mentioned 4 reasons for boycott the 
>> alert. I will talk about each one separately.
>> 
>> 1- “Started advertising T-Shirts.”
>> To the best of my knowledge, all the non-rare-bird-related tweets are added 
>> after sunset, so it would not bother birders, most of whom turn off the 
>> alert notification at night anyway. He also posts photos and videos of birds 
>> after sunset for the same reason.
>> What is wrong with promoting T-shirt that has a photo of a bird on a birding 
>> site? It has to be a good idea to raise awareness for the world of birds 
>> anyhow.
>> Beside, I read in one of the tweets that for each T-shirt sold, the seller 
>> offers few dollars as a donation to one of the birding organization. This is 
>> a good deed.
>> 
>> 2- “Promoted commercial Owl Walks that point flashlights at owls and uses 
>> excessive audio playback.”
>> The ethics of bird watching is very controversial and the birding community 
>> is deeply divided over these issues. I am not going to discuss them here. 
>> But to criticize David for promoting Birding Bob’s walks seems unreasonable 
>> to me.
>> Birding Bob is responsible for most of the rare birds alert on Manhattan 
>> Bird Alert, especially the tweets about owls in the last couple of months. 
>> On some days, I only read his tweets about rare birds and none else. 
>> He goes on birding walks almost every day and finds things himself. He 
>> doesn’t need Manhattan Bird alert more than Manhattan bird alert needs him. 
>> I have never gone on any of Bob’s walks and my encounters with him last only 
>> for few seconds where we exchange Hello’s only. We never talk birding 
>> politics. But I heard a lot from other birders about his walks and they do 
>> appreciate what he offers the birding community.
>> 
>> 3- “Reported owls with exact locations, which resulted in the over birding 
>> of some owls, especially a specific Northern Saw-whet Owl.  David's 
>> guidelines say post about any bird including all owls.” 
>> Another controversial issue and it happened that I disagree strongly with 
>> it. I believe the birding experts (including eBird experts) had this policy 
>> wrong. I believe every birder have the right to see owls. Our focus should 
>> not be focused on hiding the location. It should be on educating the public 
>> on the proper viewing protocol. 
>> When rare or vagrant bird appears anywhere, the birding experts list the 
>> exact location and remind each other of the protocol. It has happened last 
>> few days with the Golden-crowned Sparrow and last year with the Great Gray 
>> Owl.
>> It seems the experts would do all they can to get on rare birds they have 
>> not seen before even if it means to do things slightly different  from what 
>> the code of ethics stated.
>> Well, those new birders who have never seen any owl are like the experts who 
>> have never seen a Great Gray owl or Golden-crowned Sparrow. The birding 
>> community should help them get on those owls and educate them how to view 
>> them. This is a double standard in my opinion.
>> 
>> 4- “Promoted the feeding of ducks on The Pond.”
>> This is another example of where education went wrong.
>> Many people (non-birders) love to feed birds in the park but they are not 
>> aware of the danger of giving birds the wrong food. These people will 
>> continue to do so regardless of what the birding community thinks of them.
>> When I see a post in the park saying “don’t feed ducks” I laugh, because I 
>> know people will not follow such order.
>> The park department came up with a smarter idea. They started putting post 
>> on what the proper food to feed ducks and other birds, so people can enjoy 
>> feeding birds without hurting them. This is a great idea.
>> Manhattan Bird alert simply did that. It is the smart way.
>> 
>> Finally, none of these reasons are valid one to declare war on any of 
>> David’s twitter accounts. I believe these accounts are the best thing that 
>> happened to NYC area birders in a long time. And the fact that the numbers 
>> of followers to each account keep rising is an indication of their 
>> importance to the birding community. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> 
>> NYSbirds-L List Info:
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
>> 
>> ARCHIVES:
>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
>> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
>> 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01
>> 
>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>> 
>> --
> -- 
> Sent from my iPhone
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to