Went over to Shu.
Heard pileated call just south of the fire lane. Headed that way. 
It flew across the stream and further south into the tops of the trees. 
Couldn’t quite locate - it was neither calling or drumming.
Continued south on the path, watching in trees where thought it went, but 
apparently overshot it because suddenly, it reappeared flying south and 
disappeared.  
I continued to listen and I walked all the way to the Frost Mill Road and Lower 
Francis Pond. But frankly it could have gone anywhere.There are so many 
possibilities in that area, including the Japanese Stroll Garden, Upper Francis 
Pond Preserve or any number of private properties.
Good luck if you go.
Sue Herbst

PS hope it does find your feeders Stella! That’d be exciting!

> On Feb 10, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Stella Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Wow.  I live right next door to Shu.  As I was walking to my car this 
> morning, I heard what I thought was a pileated, drumming and calling. Saying 
> to myself, "Dream on, baby" I dismissed my wishful thinking and continued on 
> to the car. DOH!   Fingers crossed it discovers my feeders!
> 
> Stella Miller
>  
> 
> 
> 
> "Conservation is sometimes perceived as stopping everything cold, as holding 
> whooping cranes in higher esteem than people. It is up to science to spread 
> the understanding that the choice is not between wild places or people, it is 
> between a rich or an impoverished existence for Man." Thomas Lovejoy
> 
> 
> From: Timothy Healy <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected] 
> Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 11:13 AM
> Subject: [nysbirds-l] Pileated Woodpecker, Shu Swamp, Nassau County
> 
> Apologies to the listserv’s readers north of NYC who will find this report 
> somewhat laughable, but this species is still a great bird for Long Island. 
> There is a Pileated Woodpecker being seen along the trails around the pond at 
> Shu Swamp this morning. It appears to be favoring the area beyond the 
> boardwalks along the Red Trail, though it moves around a lot. I personally 
> last heard it somewhere near the service road to the south of that spot. 
> Listen for drumming and calling, it occasionally disappears but rarely stays 
> quiet for long. 
> 
> Cheers!
> -Tim H
> --
> 
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm 
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm>
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm 
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm>
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm 
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> 
> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 
> <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> 
> Please submit your observations to eBird:
> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>
> 
> --
> 
> 
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave 
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive 
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> Please submit your observations to eBird <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!
> --


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to