No- That’s Joseph Conrad of Wild Wild West Africa fame!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 12:56 PM, Grover, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Is that Robert Conrad, of Wild Wild West fame? 😊
>  
> <image001.png>
> Bob Grover
> d +1 (631) 761-7369 | c +1 (516) 318-8536
> An Equal Opportunity Employer
>  
> From: [email protected] 
> <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Michael Cooper
> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:24 AM
> To: Shaibal Mitra <[email protected]>
> Cc: NYSBIRDS ([email protected]) <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] The tale of "Robert the Right", along with the saga 
> of "Robert the Wrong"
>  
>  
> “Birding in March is going to hurt anyway, so why not aim high and risk 
> glorious disappointment”
> 
> Or as Conrad might have put it:
>  
> “It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice. “
>  
> Mike Cooper
> Ridge, LI NY
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> On Mar 27, 2019, at 10:41 AM, Shaibal Mitra <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> 
> Dear Bob and all,
> 
> It might be a small comfort to you to know that all of us reading your note 
> have endured this sort of pain. Back on 30 Dec, Pat and I were among the 
> first responders for the Downsville Golden-crowned Sparrow, and all of us 
> dipped that afternoon. She and I then suffered further torment when work and 
> travel prevented us from trying again, even as the bird’s early morning 
> routine was worked out and exploited by many, many of our friends. Our next 
> opportunity to try didn’t come until 18 Jan, the morning after we returned 
> from Ecuador. Like you, we set the alarm for the middle of the night and 
> drove. We were lucky to see it.
> 
> But win or lose, I’m convinced that chasing rare birds is a vice. It’s not 
> such a bad one that I intend to give it up, but, for me at least, it always 
> feels better when I make an effort to atone for my indulgence in 
> bird-chasing. One of the forms of penance I impose on myself involves writing 
> the Spring Season report for the Hudson-Delaware region (New York State, New 
> Jersey, and Delaware), for North American Birds. Reading your note 
> immediately reminded me of this ordeal—and of a possible way to escape (at 
> least temporarily) from the Dark Side. 
> 
> In tracking the dates of last occurrence of over-wintering songbird rarities, 
> I have noticed that a large percentage of long-staying Varied Thrushes, 
> Harris’s Sparrows, Western Tanagers, Painted Buntings, etc. depart from their 
> feeding stations in mid March. In parallel, many first detections of such 
> birds also tend to occur in mid March to early April, seemingly much earlier 
> than their “normal” migration periods. I interpret these discoveries as 
> representing birds that wintered undetected or unreported nearby, but which, 
> once having started roaming around, have been encountered by those 
> pious/masochistic souls who manage to force themselves to go birding during 
> March. Birding in March is going to hurt anyway, so why not aim high and risk 
> glorious disappointment!
> 
> Shai Mitra
> Bay Shore
> ________________________________________
> Subject: [nysbirds-l] The tale of "Robert the Right", along with the saga of 
> "Robert the Wrong"
> 
> Date: 03/27/19 02:04:21 AM
> 
> From: "robert adamo" <[email protected]>
> 
> To: "NY BIRDS" <[email protected]>
> 
> "Robert the Right", after seeking the current status of the Golden-Crowned 
> Sparrow on this listserve, made the correct decision to pursue the bird on 
> Wednesday, 3/20/19, and was rewarded in fortuitous fashion !  "R the R", of 
> course, is Robert Lewis, and I congratulate him for his conviction, his 
> effort, and his success !
> 
> While reading of "R the R,s" good fortune, "Robert the Wrong", decided to 
> reach for the "brass ring" and so on the following Sunday, 3/24/19, he headed 
> upstate toward the town of Downsville ! Leaving from Riverhead, L.I. at 0330, 
> alone (after striking out trying to gather some company for this long trip) 
> "R the W" arrived on Depot St..at ~ 0715, finding Lance Verderame at the 
> scene ! We had never met before, but were both aware of the other because of 
> our contributions to this listserve, as well as leading some NYSYBC field 
> trips. It was then that I learned of Lance's being the original finder of the 
> GCSP, and looked at this development as a "godsend"...but I was wrong !  
> Although there was ample bird activity, including 2 Bald Eagles, the sparrow 
> was a no-show. I believe Lance left at ~ 1030, while I finally left at 1300.
> 
> After seeing "R the R's" post re: the GCSP, I contacted John Haas, who 
> provided additional info. on the bird, besides giving me info. on 3 good 
> spots to find Evening Grosbeak and C.Redpolls. On my way home, I stopped at 
> all of them, finding Redpolls at each, and Grosbeaks at none. I made it home 
> by 1940, a long day, that while seeing 1 of 2 species not seen earlier this 
> season, I did not get the 1 species I have not seen ever !
> 
> Cheers,
> Bob, aka "R the "W"
> P.S...Thanks again, John and Lance
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and 
> Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> Archives:
> The Mail 
> Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> Please submit your observations to eBird<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!
> --
> 
> --
> 
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
> 
> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
> 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01
> 
> Please submit your observations to eBird:
> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
> 
> --
> 
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --
> This communication and any attachments are intended only for the use of the 
> individual or entity named as the addressee. It may contain information which 
> is privileged and/or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the 
> intended recipient or such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby 
> notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is 
> strictly prohibited and to notify the sender immediately.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to