Alas, the word is that the Stilt along with the American Golden Plovers are not
to be seen at the moment. I am not sure why or the cause for the Stilt to be a
no show at the moment.
Like you, I did not have a chance to see the bird yesterday and would be keen
on any positive reports.
Cheers,
--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu The Art of War
> (\__/)
> (= '.'=)
> (") _ (")
> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!
Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
> On Apr 22, 2019, at 9:16 AM, John Mora <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Any update on the stilt? Yesterday was an impossible day for me to take even
> a short road trip to nearby this beach....thank you for any update.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 21, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Steve Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I posted a picture of the Nickerson Beach (Nassau co.) Black-necked Stilt on
>> my website at http://stevewalternature.com/ . It’s one of 483 pictures I
>> took – all from my car. The main reason for taking so many was the less than
>> good lighting most of the morning. As I discussed with some people, adults
>> stilts are not just black and white. In good light – which came through
>> eventually –, they look glossy – as this picture kind of shows. The stilt
>> was faithful to the one pool, repeatedly going from one end to the other. I
>> advised a few people that had stepped out of their cars that they could be
>> rewarded with close looks if they waited in their cars. They were indeed
>> rewarded. So it’s unfortunate to hear of different behavior this afternoon.
>> I think I’ve heard that before – like with the puddle birds at Heckscher
>> last year. The afternoon is when the trouble seem to occur, for whatever
>> reason that is.
>>
>> That sort of segues to another topic. Maybe a twofold problem. One is of the
>> fragmentation of reporting. I went to Nickerson this morning, having heard
>> on a forum I subscribe to about the American Golden Plovers found yesterday.
>> But I talked to people today that didn’t know about them, mainly because it
>> was not posted to this list. That’s a good species for April and deserves
>> more pub. If you’re a shorebird aficionado like I am, that’s a rare
>> opportunity to photograph – if you behave around them – Goldens in true
>> non-breeding plumage (as opposed to fading alternate or juvenile). But then
>> maybe, if it was posted everywhere, the non-bevahers would have arrived
>> sooner? So I don’t know. It’s a conversation that’s come up before, and
>> likely will again. But a Black-necked Stilt surely has to be shared. And
>> sorry if it got double posted. I never know if my own post is getting
>> through.
>>
>> Steve Walter
>> Bayside, NY
>> --
>> NYSbirds-L List Info:
>> Welcome and Basics
>> Rules and Information
>> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>> Archives:
>> The Mail Archive
>> Surfbirds
>> ABA
>> Please submit your observations to eBird!
>> --
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--