>From its inception, the epicenter of the above has been the Roanoke Ave
Elementary School, right opposite the new Riverhead Fire Department
Headquarters Building. The chimney of the school has been the vultures
favorite resting spot on the school (I've seen as many as 16 birds on it at
the same time) and this perch can be seen from the parking lot of the
Riverhead Free Library. Although I knew that the library was closed because
of the coronavirus, I still thought I could return the books I had read in
the outside receptacles, as I normally do...but that was not the case
today. All 4 return receptacles had their receiving ports duct-taped
closed...I guess they didn't want their books waiting there until the
library was once again open for business. From habit, before leaving the
parking lot, I checked out the school's chimney, and while there were no
vultures on it, there was 1 on the F.D's antenna. Upon arrival, I was
pleasantly surprised to find it to be a Black Vulture...the time was 1620.
After checking all the other roosts (I did find 1 Turkey Vulture in the
spruces on the w/s of Roanoke Ave, at the intersection of Elton St., as
well as 1 flying overhead) when I returned to the F.D. (~ 1645) the B.V.
was gone...but only across the street to the school's chimney !

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to