Yes, the loss is bothersome! Good to know that there are plans to bring it back.

I sent an email via the web to eBird on Jul 24 asking the same question. There 
was a response on Jul 24 stating that the tool had been removed from the new 
eBird release. They asked me to describe how I used the tool and that they 
would see what they could do to find a solution. I responded with details on my 
use for several research projects and for tracking our NYSBBAIII progress. The 
information was sent the following day but have yet to hear anything back. In 
the meantime, I tried an number of workarounds, e.g., life lists, the mobile 
app trip summary, cvs exports to Excel, etc., but nothing was remotely 
satisfactory. I ended up writing a standalone Excel program for data storage 
and summary.

Alan Wells

PS I also miss the illustrated bar-chart. This was an efficient way to track 
and verify additions to my local patches.



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nancy Tognan
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 12:32 PM
To: NYS Birds listserve
Subject: [nysbirds-l] EBird eliminated "Summarize my Observations" - problem 
for Christmas Bird Count

I contacted eBird via their website on August 23, 2020 re the following 
complaint.  There has been no response.

EBird used to have the function “Summarize My Observations”, which has now been 
eliminated.  It was useful to produce a combined trip list of multiple 
locations.  It was especially useful for the Christmas Bird Count.

My North Nassau CBC sector includes 19 locations (each a separate spot to drive 
to).  In years past, I could produce a combined checklist in about 2 minutes 
using “Summarize My Observations”.  Now what?  Print 19 checklists and combine 
the data by hand?  This may take two hours instead of two minutes.

I would like to have seen “Summarize My Observations” be improved to allow more 
flexible dates and selection of locations.  Instead, the whole feature is gone 
- did eBird ask anyone before deleteing it?  I feel that birders spend a lot of 
effort inputting their data - shouldn’t eBird give us a better interface to 
inquire on it?

Does the loss of this feature bother anyone else or just me?

By the way, these other features were also deleted:  species All-Time 
First/Last Records, Arrivals and Departures, and High Counts.  

Nancy Tognan






--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to