> On 30/11/2017, at 11:21 AM, Dmitry Konchanin <dmitry.koncha...@dtsanz.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I maybe missing on some last century/decade history, but what's the current
> story with Spark/Vodafone public peering in Australia but not in New Zealand?
> With <somebody>  has stopped paid(?) peering with these guys recently, is it
> a today's case that rest of the country talks to Spark (government
> owned?)/Vodafone via 50ms Sydney path and everybody is happy with it?

If you’d like some operational feedback, give some examples of where you’re
seeing this. Source/dest/traceroutes/etc. etc. are all useful.

Not sure why you say “government owned?” there - are you implying that Spark
might be government owned? It is not, if that’s your question.

As Jon says, peering is in NZ as it is in the rest of the world. Everyone can
choose to not peer, for whatever reason they want. It may be the case that some
networks partially peer in some locations, fully in others, etc. etc. Networks
are flexible, so, business needs often dictate things that might seem weird on
the surface.
NZ has a tradition of lots of peering, but, traditions are not rules. If it is
painful for your customers to reach Spark/VFNZ, then you need to find out how
you can reach those networks, and if the cost to do so is worth it to reduce
that pain. There are a number of options for doing so.

If you have a 50ms RTT to Sydney from Auckland, something is wrong. Expect
25-30ish.

--
Nathan Ward