Hi,

I agree with Felix. I don't currently see a need for Sling to "bypass" the
JCR API. If that would be needed, there is something wrong with the JCR
API or the JCR implementation.

About indexing:

> Another potential Sling extension would be a custom Oak index provider
> for optimizing the kinds of queries Sling uses.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't see Sling having it's own index
*mechanism*. Probably Sling will need specific indexes, but that's just
configuration, and not implementation (code). Sling should create the
indexes it needs just like any user application. I think indexes should be
configured within the repository (as nodes), so that the regular JCR API
could be used. To simplify the index configuration, we might create a
"index config tool / library" (with it's own API), but this tool should
just use the JCR API internally, no shortcut directly into Oak (for
multiple reasons, for example so we don't need a separate remoting for
it). Such a tool could be used by any kind of application, it's just
helper classes to create / manipulate nodes within a repository; it would
use the regular JCR API.

Regards,
Thomas