Hi,

> I'd really like to avoid the need to rely on observation for keeping
> internal data structures in sync. It adds quite a bit of complexity

Well, having the index configuration distributed is what really adds
complexity :-) I think keeping a central list of all index configurations
simplifies things, and not having it is troublesome.

For me, storing the index configurations near the context is not a high
priority, but if you feel it's important I'm sure we find a solution.
Possibly we end up having a central list of paths were index
configurations are stored, that would be OK in my view.

Just now, for me the priority is adding support for global indexes. But I
will keep the 'distributed index config' in mind. Of course it would be a
nice thing to have.

Regards,
Thomas