Hi,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Alex Parvulescu
<alex.parvule...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, it is only used with the KernelNodeStore impl, the other 2
> options (MemoryNodeStore & SegmentNodeStore) have no notion of it.
> The interesting part is probably how you actually add an observer via the
> NodeStore api, not having to cast to a specific impl.

My initial idea here was to have observers operate on top of the
NodeStore, i.e. a client that keeps a reference to a NodeStore
instance would periodically call getRoot() and invoke the observers
based on the results. AFAICT there's no special need for the observers
to be called from inside the NodeStore.

> Second: the KernelNodeStore has a #setObserver method. Does that imply that
> there can be only one global observer?

No, see above.

> I can have more than one index impl available, so how do I listen for
> changes on each of those?

The Observer interface is designed to be composable, so you could have
a CompositeObserver class that calls out to any number of
sub-observers.

> I like the fact that there is overlap in the api between observers and
> commithooks, this means that indexing code can be reused.
> My issue is how do I install an observer on a given path?

You could use a mechanism like what the SubtreeValidator does, i.e.
have one main observer that looks at the entire content diff and
delegates observation of specific subtrees to configured
sub-observers.

BR,

Jukka Zitting