Hi,

> The async index update is designed so that it should work correctly
> even when run concurrently on multiple cluster nodes. It uses
> optimistic locking to prevent conflicting updates.

I'm confident this works, but I'm a bit concerned about duplicate work
being done. Doesn't the probability of concurrent updates increase
with every cluster node we add?

> Thus I'd rather not limit the async index update to just one node, and
> instead leave it running throughout the cluster. The update contains
> code that's designed to automatically detect conflicting updates and
> suppress any warnings about them. Do you still see conflicts being
> logged?

A while ago I saw them more frequently. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1166 for more details.
After https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1198 they are now
less frequently. But even if there are no warnings it may still mean
unnecessary work is done and then discarded. Though, I understand
most of the discarded lucene changes were already persisted to a
branch and will have to be garbage collected. Is this correct?

Regards
 Marcel