hi nicolas

>>whenever you create or modify a user/group using regular user management
>> API the changes are not autosaved by default and it's up to the
>> caller to persist the changes by calling Session.save().
>i didn¹t know that, great.

see also
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/security/user.html

>> or do you specifically mean the creation of a user in the context of
>> sync from LDAP (or some other external identity provider)?
>i¹m reusing DefaultSyncHandler¹s sync mechanism together with ldap
>identity provider, and was blaming something in there writing too
>frequently.
>I guess then problem is between oak¹s code & the result i get = between
>my keyboard and my chair.

i am not too familiar with the sync mechanism... but looking just
quickly at the code it seems that it persists the sync of each user/group.
that looks reasonable to me (even if it comes with some Root.commit()
overhead) as it allows to specifically retry or revert the changes
made during the sync of one single account. that's the defensive
way of minimising the unexpected behaviour for the consumer in case
of failure.

on the other hand you might argue that the default should be success
and that in those cases less frequent calls to persist the changes
might work as well and was probably faster.

not sure what the right answer would be here... in any case: it's not
an autosave of the user management implementation but a conscious
decision of the sync-handler to frequently persist the changes :-)

hope that helps

>Thanks Angela for your answers!

you are welcome.
angela