> I'm not sure how to minimize the impact of performing a re-index (or new
> index creation), that will take 48 hours (using oak 1.4). I mean, I don't
> want to block other indexes update.

Is this a SegmentNodeStore based setup or DocumentNodeStore based?

The reindexing log would have some stats around time spent in indexing
and time spent in text extraction. Can you check whats the part which
takes most time. If its text extraction then you can reduce the time
spent in that via using Pre-Extraction support [1]. This allow
extracting text before hand and then using that at time of actual
indexing

Changing the "indexing lane" should help but is tricky to get right
and something we are improving currently OAK-6246 and OAK-5553

> indexes won't be updated. On the other hand, it seems that using the
> *reindex-async* flag (see OAK-1456
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1456>) could do the trick. I

This mode is useful for property index as in the end it removes the
async flag and makes the index synchronous which would cause issues
for lucene based index

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/query/lucene.html#text-extraction