>From my experience working with customers, I can pretty much guarantee
that sooner or later:

(a) the implementation of an automatism is not *quite* what they need/want
(b) they want to be able to manually select (or more likely override)
whether a file can be archived

Thus I suggest to come up with a pluggable "strategy" interface and
provide a sensible default implementation. The default will be fine
for most customers/users, but advanced use-cases can be implemented by
substituting the implementation. Implementations could then also
respect manually set flags (=properties) if desired.

A much more important and difficult question to answer IMHO is how to
deal with the slow retrieval of archived content. And if needed, how
to expose the slow availability (i.e. unavailable now but available
later) to the end user (or application layer). To me this sounds
tricky if we want to stick to the JCR API.

Regards
Julian