On 24.08.17 09:27, Ian Boston wrote:
On 24 August 2017 at 08:18, Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org> wrote:

URI uri = ((OakValueFactory) valueFactory).getSignedURI(binProp);

+1

One point
Users in Sling dont know abou Oak, they know about JCR.

URI uri = ((OakValueFactory)
valueFactory).getSignedURI(jcrNode.getProperty("jcr:data"));

No new APIs, let OakValueFactory work it out and return null if it cant do
it. It should also handle a null parameter.
(I assume OakValueFactory already exists)

No, OakValueFactory does not exist as API (yet). But adding it would be more inline with how we approached the Oak API traditionally.

I'm not against introducing the adaptable pattern but would like to understand whether there is concrete enough use cases beyond the current one to warrant it.

Michael

If you want to make it extensible

<T> T convertTo(Object source, Class<T> target);

used as

URI uri = ((OakValueFactory)
valueFactory). convertTo(jcrNode.getProperty("jcr:data"), URI.class);

The user doesnt know or need to know the URI is signed, it needs a URI that
can be resolved.
Oak wants it to be signed.

Best Regards
Ian

Michael

A rough sketch of any alternative proposal would be helpful to decide
how to move forward

Chetan Mehrotra