On 04/03/2019 12:08, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> It all sounds reasonable to me. One comment regarding your example -
> branching does not necessarily force to increase the major component of
> the version.
>
> >From your initial email, one use case for having maintenance branches
> is to support incompatible changes in the JVM.
>
> Asumming that with 1.26 we want to end Java 19 support, then the next
> Oak release could be 1.28, as we did not previously treat such changes
> as 'breaking'.

hmmm. We will add/change JVM even without branching if it will not
require us to change API in a non-compatible way. By the definition I
gave before a Major change is for:

>> MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes.

so while in the past we didn't branch for JVM itself I think it happened
either along with a new branch anyhow or it didn't require us to change
our API in a non-compatible way.

D.