On 07/06/2019 15:35, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> I would create a branch of branch 1.6 for OAK-8235
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-8235> (e.g. 1.6-oak-8235) where
> I would backport such changes and set the JDK compatibility version to 1.8.
> The question then comes for releases, I don't think we would be willing to
> release such "intermediate" branches.
>
> What do you think?
> Any other ideas on how to solve it ?

-1 on the additional branch. It will be yet one more branch to maintain
that will go very easily out of sync from the "official" 1.6.

The only way to solve this is to increase the JDK compatibility. However
we have to account for consumer projects and their JDK compatibility.
They may have set JDK7 and cannot easily update JDK. Which in turns will
make any future 1.6 releases not suitable for the product.

Other solution is to NOT backport the change as it is. We live with the
bugs in that area and produce some statement on the lines of: if you use
solr, you HAVE to upgrade to latest and greatest Oak release. Or at
lease 1.10.x.

Or we manage to backport the security fixes in solr in a way that is JVM
compatible.

Unfortunately I don't have a real solution.

Davide