Hi,

We're in the process of merging the Full-GC feature branch into trunk (via PR [1]). Given this is a larger change we'd like to make you aware of this and encourage reviews.

Since GC is about removing data and given the amount and variety of garbage we have chosen a defensive approach. We'd like to allow for a flexible and longer hardening phase during which individual aspects of the feature can be tested and separately rolled out. For this, the following measure have been built-in:

First, the feature is disabled by default. That is, one has to explicitly enable it via a toggle. The idea is to keep it disabled-by-default at least until we have gone through this sufficiently long enough hardening phase. (Besides, this should also lower the risk of merging the PR now in the first place)

Second, there is a FullGCMode [2] in the works, which allows to pick and choose which garbage type should be taken into consideration at all. There is also plans to allow further restrictions based on include/exclude paths etc. Plus there is extensive logging to support verification.

Cheers,
Stefan
--
[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-10739