Hi James,

On Mar 2, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Manger, James H wrote:

> [johnk said]
>> The problem is that the term 'consumer' is quite accurate and
>> descriptive when you imagine that a software application, in the role
>> of a consumer, is consuming the output of the "service provider". An
>> 'application' is certainly an OAuth system entity, but the
>> application
>> might play multiple roles, one of which is as a consumer.
>

> I disagree, John.
>
> Colloquially, a "consumer" is a member of the general public, a
> residential customer, a person -- a closer match to what OAuth calls
> a "User".

Consumers consume the output of producers, abstractly, whether they
are humans or software applications.

> In computing a Consumer is invariably paired with a Producer. There
> is usually an event stream from the Producer to the Consumer. OAuth
> does not use "Producer" (using Service Provider instead), and there
> is no event stream, so I think it should avoid "Consumer".

I hate to bring up SOAP, but "web services" had the web service
consumer and web service provider. I know we don't like SOAP, but I do
think "consumer" and "service" are reasonably descriptive terms, and I
would suggest that although not perfect, they might be as close as we
can get.

> Consider an application that posts tweets to twitter on my behalf,
> or adds appointments to my online calendar, or periodically loads
> images from a web cam into flickr. Such apps can hardly be called
> consumers (without causing confusion). Such apps are producing the
> content that the service consumes.
>

> Eran's suggestion of "Service", "Client", and "User-Agent" sounds
> likes it might work well to clarify the text.

The client may be also a user-agent. Or the client might also be a
service. I don't like "consumer" so much, but I don't think that
"client" is an upgrade.

- johnk