On 4/17/09 7:00 PM, John Kristian wrote:
> OAuth concentrates on securing communication between the consumer and
> service provider.  The callback is just a timing signal, telling the
> consumer it can continue its interaction with the service provider.
> Nothing sensitive is transmitted via the callback.
>
> In other words, attempting to transmit something sensitive via an
> OAuth callback is a mistake.  OAuth wasn't designed for this.

Oh, I don't care about transmitting sensitive data via the OAuth
callback.  I just want to eliminate replay attacks - you're absolutely
right, the callback is a form of IPC to the consumer ... which
presumably will go on to perform other tasks once it receives the
signal.  Depending on what those tasks are, it's very desirable to be
able to tell if the callback was legitimate or either a replay attack or
a brute-force token shooting attack.

Even client-side browser cookies may not win here if a simple session
fixation attack is coupled with the token shooting attack.

Exactly what's the harm in signing the callback URL?

--
Dossy Shiobara              | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/