On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:
> On 4/23/09 9:26 PM, Brian Eaton wrote:
>> That's not a good user experience, nor is it necessary to fix the
>> security problems in the protocol.
>
> Let me say it another way: yanking support for OAuth in response to
> security issues is even worse user experience.
>
> Define the spec. such that it is sufficiently secure, then in future
> revisions work hard to pare it down to what is necessary and sufficient
> in order to improve the user experience.

It's totally unsurprising that it's easy to build something insecure
on top of OAuth, desktop or otherwise.  The vulnerability we've been
freaking out about all week means that you basically *can't* build a
secure system on top of it without either doing a lot of things that
aren't even hinted at in the security considerations or changing the
protocol completely.  The goal for any changes we make should be to
make it easy to build a secure system on top of OAuth.  Making it hard
to build something insecure using OAuth isn't anywhere near possible
and it's a waste of time to try to discuss it.

In the case of desktop apps using OAuth, there are a bunch of
(hopefully) blindingly obvious pitfalls - the root of the problem
being that it's inherently impossible for the SP to authenticate that
the consumer is who it claims to be.  This is nothing new, and nothing
we can fix by adding more tokens and requests and signatures.  There
are any number of ideas floating around, all of which are possible to
implement using OAuth 1.0, which still allow you to build something
reasonably secure.  (For example, there are any number of iPhone apps
using a custom URL scheme for their callback URL.)  But these things
don't need to be hardcoded into the spec.