A (temporary) fix might be for Service Providers to check the HTTP Referer
request header when Users arrives at the authorization URI.

If the Referer “matches” the application associated with the request token then
the User has not come from an Attacker’s link.

A Referer check at the SP requires no change to consumer applications.

For desktop applications, the SP could check that the Referer field is absent
(though I believe this can be readily spoofed, eg redirect the user through a
FTP URI).

P.S. I don’t think an open redirector at the application’s web site defeats the
Referer check as the Referer field still lists the original URI, not the URI
that issued the redirect (at least in my quick test with Firefox 3).

James Manger
james.h.man...@team.telstra.com<mailto:james.h.man...@team.telstra.com>
Identity and security team — Chief Technology Office — Telstra