I think we are stuck in this debate over the wire version because we do not
have a well defined scope for this effort. While this has been obvious to me,
it might not be obvious to others.

The charter for this work is:

1. Fully address the security hole identified in the OAuth Core 1.0
specification
2. Provide a solution in the form of a new specification in a short period of
time (2-4 weeks)
3. Narrowly address the security hole without attempting to improve or change
anything else
4. Allow servers to support the broken and fixed protocols
5. Provide a solution that requires the least amount of changes to existing
deployed code

---

We have identified two possible solutions:

- Add a verification code and sign the callback parameter (signed callbacks)
- Simplify the authorization flow by combining the first two steps (signed
authorization request)

We have reached wide consensus that the best approach is the first, signed
callbacks.

---

Our charter includes a requirement for servers to be able to support both
revisions which means they need a way to tell which flow they client is using.
We have three options for identifying the flow used:

- oauth_callback always required in the Request Token step to allow servers to
know which flow the client is using. To support manual verification code entry
or no verification code at all, we will use magic values (like 'oob' and
'none').

- Servers use a different set of authorization endpoint (just the 3 OAuth
endpoints, not any other API), or use a flag during the client registration
(indicating which version they use) to know which flow is being used.

- The oauth_version parameter value is changed to indicate which version is
being used.

The first two options *clearly* match charter requirement #5 better than the
third option. The first two options affect only the *3* OAuth endpoints, while
the third affects *all* OAuth-protected endpoints. We still need to pick one
from the first two options.

---

Those advocating other solutions or the need to address the meaning of the wire
version, etc. will have plenty of opportunity to do so shortly in the IETF.

EHL