David,

Back when I was writing the OAuth-PHP library I also bumped into this
issue.
At least the OAuth spec clearly defines how to encode, and there are
test cases supplied.

You can check:

http://www.marcworrell.com/article-2943-en.html

For a discussion about the implications of RFC3986 usage in different
languages.

Greetings,

Marc