Hi all:

At XRI TC of OASIS Open, we are talking about the signing method for XRD.
The current trend in the TC is that to use a constrained form of XML DSig,
which is found in the SAML Core spec. We are almost deciding on it,
but I would like to hear from the community that if it would be OK.

The reason I ask this was that when we started to discuss the
signing method for XRD back in November last year, we were
hearing from the community that XML DSig is too complex and
hard to use by some developers. That's why we came up with
"Simple Sign" which basically signes the blob without any
cannonicalization.

e.g.,

<SXRD sig="signature"
sigalg="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1"; certuri="pem file
location" data="BASE64 of the payload" />

Where:

   - XRD/@data : Base64 encoded XRD to be signed.
   - XRD/@sig : Signature taken over the original data (before Base64
   encoding).
   - XRD/@certuri: (Optional) Certificate location.Either XRD/@certuri or
   XRD/@certs MUST be present.
   - XRD/@certs : (Optional) The content of XRD/@certuri.If both
   XRD/@certuri and XRD/@certs are present, XRD/@certs takes precidence.
   - XRD/@sigalg : (Optional) Signature Algorithm. Defaults to rsa-sha1.

When we started writing spec on such thing, we found that we are re-writing
a lot of things that are already in XML DSig.
As the result, XML DSig with new canonicalization method=no-canonicalization
was discussed and in the end,
it seems the discussion precipitated to "After all, constrained XML DSig
would be good enough."
Theoretically, it looks good.

The remaining question is then the reality check, such as:

   - Is it widely implementable, in each scripting language and hosting
   environment including Google AppEngine, Force.com, etc.?
   - Would the community feel that this is simple enough?

I would appreciate your insight/opinion/input into this matter.

Best,

--
Nat Sakimura (=nat)
http://www.sakimura.org/en/