I'll try to do my best to explain it.

With callbacks there is, from a users perspective, no difference. After
the user authorizes the app, the user is sent back to the consumer
like
http://consumer/post_authorize?oauth_token=x&oauth_verifier=y
The consumer then makes a background-call to change the request
-token for an access-token sending along the verifier. And you're done.

So there is no difference from the user perspective, except the one
extra parameter on the callback url. From a security perspective
the changes are extensive. Because the post_authorize url on the
consumer cannot be "polled" with the token by a spoofer, because
he won't know the verifier code. Only the user who was redirected
from the SP and hence gave the permission will have the verifier.

Without callbacks the SP after authorizations will now say something
like "You can now go back to your app, punch in the verifier YYY and
hit OK" instead of the old "You can now go back to your app and hit
OK".
The app then has an input field for the verifier code, and after
proceeding it will exchange the request-token for an access-token
while sending in the verifier code.

--

Did that clear it up for you?

-Morten