Ethan,

do you know links to these guidelines?  In particular extra measures
to deal with the consumer secret vulnerability?
Do I just encrypt the consumer secret on the client side as an extra
means against casual decompilation?

As a side note, Facebook doesn't use OAuth (but it is similar). They
have a means to handle this in their protocol using a temporary secret
provided by their servers.
I don't know how secure this would be, but they seem to have
acknowledged the issue and have a dual system that provides normal
consumer secrets and temporary ones.