On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM, David Recordon <record...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mart Atkins:
>> Doing short-lived access tokens in cleartext is not really any different to
>> how most sites
>> handle sessions today. A short-lived access token isn't much different than
>> a session key.

Yep.  This is not an accident, and the pattern extends way beyond the
web.  You see it in pretty much every trusted third-party
authentication system.

>> However, if access tokens are going to be used in this way it's probably
>> sensible to define
>> a mechanism by which a consumer can explicitly invalidate an access token.
>> This means
>> that an access token can be tied to the live of a site session: when the
>> user logs in (or,
>> when they first do something that needs the access token) use the refresh
>> token to obtain
>> a new access token; when the user logs out, terminate all of the active
>> access tokens
>> associated with that session.

I'm sure an invalidate method would be useful for refresh tokens,
though not essential.

I suspect most WRAP deployments won't be able to do server-side
invalidation of access tokens; they'll be implemented without
server-side state.  It does turn out that the WRAP refresh
token/access token pattern does make server-side invalidation fairly
efficient to implement if deployments decide to care.

>> An invalidate method makes sense, though wouldn't this just happen by
>> refreshing the
>> token anyway? You'd get a new access token and the old one would stop
>> working.

I don't think this is a good idea.  There's no guarantee that the old
access tokens are not still being used at the time that the new access
token is minted.

Cheers,
Brian