Hi John,

following your arguments, I could add "integrity protection of complete HTTP requests in an interoperable way" the the "pro HTTPS" section?

regards,
Torsten.

Am 16.03.2010 07:22, schrieb John Panzer:
I'm confused by one "pro" for signatures:

"Protect integrity of whole request - authorization data and payload when communicating over unsecure channel"

I do not believe there is an existing concrete proposal that will protect the whole request, unless you add additional restrictions on the request types -- e.g., only HTTP GET or POST with form-encoded data variables only.

If the assertion is that signatures will actually provide integrity for arbitrary HTTP request bodies as well as the URL, authority, and HTTP method: I would like to see at least one concrete proposal that will accomplish this. IIRC there's only one that I think is possibly implementable in an interoperable way, and it supports only JSON payloads. In other words, anyone using body signing would need to wrap their data in JSON to do it. (This is not necessarily the worst thing in the world, of course, but it is something to be taken into account when listing pros and cons.)