In case it's helpful, BCP 56 / RFC 3205 provides recommendations for using HTTP as a substrate for other protocols:
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp56>
... in particular with respect to status codes:
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp56#section-8>

It's worth thinking about how that document applies to OAuth, since the goal here isn't really necessariliy to use HTTP as a substrate, but rather to extend HTTP in certain ways.

--Richard