Hey Marius,

On 3/31/10 8:37 PM, "Marius Scurtescu" <mscurte...@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <e...@hueniverse.com>
> wrote:
>> The only significant change I have made (which is of course open to debate)
>> is renaming all the authorization flows parameters. I dropped the oauth_
>> prefix (no real need since these are purely OAuth endpoints, not protected
>> resources), and made most of the parameter names shorter. I am not done so
>> they are not consistent yet.
>
> Having a common prefix for all parameters is quite important IMO. It
> allows parties
> to define and pass additional, non-standard, parameters.

Non-standard parameter hurt interoperability. The question is whether the
right approach is to add a prefix to the protocol parameters or to the
extension parameters (such as x_), or none.

What prevents a custom parameter to collide with a standard extension not
supported by the server or someone else's custom parameter? If we are
serious about parameter collision (which I doubt given past sentiments on
registries etc.), we should require all parameters to register unless they
have some special custom prefix.

In other word, adding the oauth_ prefix to the core parameters doesn't
really accomplish much, other than making requests longer. In the past,
people wanted to define extension parameters starting with oauth_ and we
didn't really reach consensus on whether to allow it or not. Then we played
with xoauth_ for a while, then went back and just allowed oauth_ for
extensions.

If we keep the oauth_ prefix, do we also require a registry for extensions?
Do we define another prefix? Do we create a registry for extension prefixes?
This gets bad really fast.

> Also, quite
> often parameters
> are added to existing URLs, and a prefix helps prevent collisions.

Extension parameters should never conflict with core parameter because we
know all the core parameters before we write custom ones...

This is only for the OAuth-specific endpoint (authorization endpoint), not
the protected resource endpoint in which we will still use oauth_token (the
only parameter added to protected resource requests).

What do you think?

EHL