Hi Tony,

I¹m suggesting that the Service Provider determine whether its services are
available via HTTPS, HTTP, or both.

This is exactly how it is today. AFAIK, there are no standard interoperable
APIs that use Oauth. All (or practically all) APIs that use Oauth are
completely proprietary. For proprietary interfaces, it¹s really up to the
Service Provider to determine if their data and services are valuable enough
to justify using HTTPs.

(I personally think that everything should use HTTPS, however I don¹t think
that Service Providers should be required to implement HTTPS if they don¹t
think their proprietary API requires it)

I do hope that there are standard interoperable interfaces that are built on
top of OAuth2 ­ however it¹s up to the authors of these interfaces to
determine whether SSL is required or not.

The issue with specifying whether the SP should require HTTPS is very
similar to the problem with specifying how the the user authenticates with
the SP.   Should the user have a strong password? Should the SP implement
CAPTCHA or other anti-password cracking mechanisms? Maybe users should have
multi-factor auth?

I recommend that the spec does not require HTTPS ­ this decision is really
up to the Service Provider if they¹re providing a proprietary interface.
Future standard interfaces that are built on top of Oauth should determine
for themselves whether or not HTTPS is required.

Allen