On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt <
tors...@lodderstedt.net> wrote:

>  Am 21.04.2010 17:31, schrieb Evan Gilbert:
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Torsten Lodderstedt <
> tors...@lodderstedt.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 21.04.2010 02:45, schrieb Evan Gilbert:
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Torsten Lodderstedt <
>> tors...@lodderstedt.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose an additional variant of the Web Server Flow w/o
>>> the need for direct communication between client and authorization server in
>>> order to obtain authorized access/refresh tokens. Instead access and refresh
>>> tokens should directly be send back with the redirect to the client as it is
>>> the case in the User-Agent Flow.
>>>

>> Question (and sorry if I'm being dense) - what is the delta between Web
>> Server flow + verification_code=false and User-Agent flow?
>>

>>  This is not a dense question :-)
>>
>> The User Agent Flow adds the data as URL fragment which is not passed to
>> the web server (as far as I understand). My proposal adds this data as URL
>> query parameters, which are passed to the web server by the user agent.
>>

>  At one point we had tokens in query string for the User-Agent flow, but
> there were concerns about the security side. Query parameters are much more
> likely to leak in logs and in referrers.
>
>  It's not a lot of work to support this functionality with the existing
> User-Agent flow using a boilerplate response page. Page would:
> 1. Grab fragment
> 2. Make XMLHttpRequest with access token & refresh token to server, or POST
> a form
> 3. Redirect to destination page.
>
>  Would this work?
>

> I think this would work but is IMHO somehow cumbersome and requires two
> requests to the service.

I agree it's cumbersome. Hopefully the security folks can respond with the
pros/cons of tokens in the query parameters.

>  Alternatively, the authorization server could directly respond with a HTML
> page containing a HTML form element with all response data. This form could
> automatically be submited to the service using JavaScript. This would be
> similar to OpenIds "HTML FORM Redirection".

This is a good idea. Might make sense to support as a best practice - the
form can be static and it's fairly easy for any client to host it.

We recently had a similar discussion on the Native Application flow on the
OAuth WG thread - decided that we could implement the Native Flow as the Web
Server flow + a simple HTML web page. And the web page wouldn't be directly
part of the spec, but a separately documented best practice.

(note - I don't have strong opinions on this - mostly discussing options)