On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt
<tors...@lodderstedt.net> wrote:
> In my opinion, automatic discovery on scope values is as valuable or not
> valuable as automatic discovery for a service API. I would like to echo one
> of my postings:
>
> A scope defines the set of permissions a client asks for and that becomes
> associated with tokens. I don't see the need (and a way) for automatic scope
> discovery. In my opinion, scopes are part of the API documentation of a
> particular resource server. So if someone implements a client, it needs to
> consider the different scopes this client needs the end users authorization
> for. If the resource server implements a OAuth2-based standard API (e.g. for
> contact management or e-Mail), a client might be interoperable (in terms of
> scopes) among the resource servers implementing this standard.

Not sure I understand, are you saying that for a standard API, like
IMAP for example, there should be a standard scope (or set of scopes)?
If not, then discovery of scopes is almost a must in this case. The
client implementor cannot know the actual scope because implementation
is done against a generic API.

I did not see the value of scope discovery until I realized the above use case.

Marius