On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Marius Scurtescu <mscurte...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <e...@hueniverse.com> wrote:
>> I'll add something to the draft and we'll discuss it. There is enough
>> consensus on a single JSON response format.
>
> Yesterday I got the following feedback:
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Greg Robbins <grobb...@google.com> wrote:
>> Using JSON on the iPhone requires developers to drag in source code for a
>> third-party library
>
> If the above is true, then I am not so sure about JSON anymore. Lots
> of phones and devices will have problems with it.

It is true that some devices do not ship with JSON libraries, but I
think the concern is overblown. A JSON library is going to be
something like 1000 lines of code, and orders of magnitude faster and
smaller than an XML parser. For instance, a Blackberry developer would
need to include the org.json packages that come bundled with Android,
but they are tiny: http://www.json.org/java/index.html

Besides that, the group should skate to where the puck will be, as it
were. Every platform that can handle Unicode can and will have a JSON
library in short order. I once saw a WG waste tons of time debating
the capabilities of J2ME handsets that are now basically irrelevant in
terms of Internet traffic share.

--

Robert Sayre