You have three expirations:

- The assertion
- The access token
- The refresh token (if present)

The authorization server can issue an access token with any expiration but
should not issue expiration later than that of the assertion. But still, there
is nothing to prevent that. The authorization server may issue an access token
with a shorter expiration than the assertion. In that case, it can require the
use of the same assertion again to get another token, or it can issue a refresh
token to accomplish the same thing.

I reject the argument that the expiration policy (and getting it implemented
correctly) has much to do with making a refresh token available to the server
as a tool.

EHL