From: Eran Hammer-Lahav [mailto:e...@hueniverse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:47 AM
To: Nennker, Axel; oauth@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action:draft-ietf-oauth-v2-04.txt

I wouldn't.

The fact is that the current spec provides a symmetric secret for
authenticating clients. Extending this to use something else is trivial.
Since this will be the majority of implementation (based on current
deployment), I see no reason to make the spec harder to read and
implement for something that is not even proposed.

EHL

"secret_type"
> to "credential_type".
> The client_credential might be a shared secret denoted by e.g.
> "credential_type=shared_secret".
>
> -Axel

Behalf
> > Of axel.nenn...@telekom.de
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:22 PM
> > To: oauth@ietf.org
> > Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action:draft-ietf-oauth-v2-04.txt
> >
> > I suggest a change to
> >
> > "3.4.  Client Credentials
> >
> >    When requesting access from the authorization server, the client
> >    identifies itself using a set of client credentials.  The client
> >    credentials include a client identifier and an OPTIONAL symmetric
> >    shared secret.  The means through which the client obtains these
> >    credentials are beyond the scope of this specification, but
usually
> >    involve registration with the authorization server."
> >
> > I don't like the "symmetric shared secret" and would like this to be
> "beyond
> > the scope of this spec".
> >
> > I suggest to change that paragraph e.g. to:
> >
> > "3.4.  Client Credentials
> >
> >    When requesting access from the authorization server, the client
> >    authenticates itself using its credentials. The type of
credentials
> >    is beyond the scope of this specification. The means through
which
> >    the client obtains these credentials are beyond the scope of this
> >    specification, but usually involve registration with the
> >    authorization server."
> >
> > -Axel
> >
> > Ps.
> > If the client has an e.g. RSA-keypair then it could use the private
> key to sign
> > the request and thereby authenticate itself.
> > The public key would need to be exchanged before out-of-band. Or it
> could
> > be a certificate that is e.g. issued by the authorization server or
> party that
> > the authorization server trusts.

Working