One of the things that I found particularly useful with working with
OAuth1 was the ability to perform an entire transaction through URL
parameter manipulation. This is why I wholly support keeping the client
id and secret fields in the client auth flow and the username and
password fields in the username flow. I'm fine with supporting
alternative ways to pass information around, with various headers or
basic auth or what have you, but I don't want to lose the ability to GET
and/or POST a bunch of form parameters to use OAuth. I don't want to
have to dive any deeper into the HTTP stack than that.

With that in mind, I support keeping the format parameter, with an
alternative expression of the same information being made available via
the Accepts header for clients that want to do that instead.

 -- Justin