I like this idea. Hadn't thought about the security benefits, thanks for
enumerating Nat.

On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Nat wrote:

One more good thing:

5) We can move almost all the params into JSON.

=nat @ Tokyo via iPhone

On 2010/06/10, at 16:27, Nat Sakimura
<sakim...@gmail.com<mailto:sakim...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Dirk Balfanz
<<mailto:balf...@google.com>balf...@google.com<mailto:balf...@google.com>>
wrote:

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM, John Panzer
<<mailto:jpan...@google.com>jpan...@google.com<mailto:jpan...@google.com>>
wrote:
So the thinking is that this is just a generic "include" or "one level of
indirection" feature that is orthogonal to other flows?

FWIW, I really like that notion.  It's also very easy to describe and
understand conceptually.

+1

How does the Client decide to use this new level of indirection? When the User
Agent looks like it wouldn't like long URLs?

There are a few cases that I am aware of:

1) When the User Agent looks like  it would not like long URLs.

It is entirely possible that some extension makes a long URL.
For example, the client might want to send a public key with
the request.

2) When the server wants the request non-repudiation

The server might want the request to be non-repudiable.
It is possible to sign the request dynamically, but a simpler way of doing it
is to
make a signed request file (perhaps in Magic Signature format) and put it on
the client. It can just be done by a client utility or something, so that the
private key does not even have to reside on the server nor the client needs to
program anything.

3) When the server wants the requests to be cacheable

As I have proposed, if the request_url comes with sha256 hash of the file,
the server knows if the file has changed without fetching it, so it does not
have to re-fetch a same file, which is a win as well.

4) When the client wants to simplify the implementation without compromising
the security

If the request parameters go through the Browser, it may be tampered at the
browser even if TLS was used. This implies we need to have signature on the
request as well. However, if https request_url was used, it is not going to be
tampered, thus we now do not have to sign the request. This simplifies the
implementation.

Dirk.

--
John Panzer / Google
<mailto:jpan...@google.com>jpan...@google.com<mailto:jpan...@google.com> /

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Nat Sakimura
<<mailto:sakim...@gmail.com>sakim...@gmail.com<mailto:sakim...@gmail.com>>
wrote:
I fully agree on it.

Instead of doing as a flow, defining request_url as one of the core variable
would be better.
The question then is, whether this community accepts the idea.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Manger, James H
<<mailto:james.h.man...@team.telstra.com>james.h.man...@team.telstra.com<mailto:james.h.man...@team.telstra.com>>
 wrote:
Nat,

> On the other hand, you are starting to think of it as a generic "include"
> mechanism, are you?

Yes. That feels like the simplest mental model for this functionality, and the
simplest way to specify it.

--
James Manger

--