The interop value of the current proposal is simple:

- defines how multiple scopes are to be expressed (order doesn't matter, space
delimited)
- provides an easy way to express the required scope when rejected a protected
resource request
- allows clients the ability to combine scopes (known and discovered) without
additional server-specific logic

I think this is enough value to define an internal structure to the scope
string beyond just a blob. The current proposal doesn't prevent the YQL example
you provided, just that it needs to be encoded to replace the spaces with
something else (since space delimited order does not matter).

We want to keep scope underspecified enough to allow the level of customization
currently expressed by the different vendors represented here. But we also want
to make sure that defining interop scopes is well understood and simple as we
already have a few use cases for it (e.g. OpenID Connect, Portable Contacts).

EHL