HTTP Basic has no version, and I believe Digest doesn't have a version either
(though it has been revised from 2069 to 2617). The Token scheme is generic,
but also wide open. The only required parameter is 'token' (which makes sense
for a Token scheme). I can't come up with a single requirement that would
require an explicit version parameter.

Version discussions are almost always a waste of time because at the time they
are debated, no one knows what the requirement for such a feature will be.
Versioning usually makes sense in a follow-up revision where the protocol needs
a way to differentiate itself from the previous version.

If anyone wants to propose a versioning of any parts of this protocol, they
must present specific objectives. The vague objective of "allow future
versions" isn't valid because it has failed for 1.0 (and many other protocols).
Instead, I suggest people pay more attention to the extensibility and ensure
that it offers enough support for future needs, without having the change the
protocol.

We tried adding version support in OAuth 1.0 and failed. The version parameter
does not help in any real way, is incompletely, and poorly defined. The quality
of this new discussion is as low as that of the 1.0 attempt. Let's learn from
our mistakes.

EHL