On Jul 6, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Brian Eaton wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Luke Shepard <lshep...@facebook.com> wrote:
>> Two points:
>>
>> 1/ I agree that it can be onerous for clients to host web pages. It's not a
>> matter of expense but of complexity.
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> 2/ As we discussed previously in our in-person meeting, this should be
>> handled by a different endpoint, and not be the responsibility for the
>> provider. If Google wishes to support this for their desktop apps, then it
>> should provide an endpoint that handles the OAuth response and puts it in
>> the <title>. I can say that Facebook has no interest in supporting this hack
>> on the server side, but clients that want it can use their own html file
>> that does it for them.
>>
>> For example, for Javascript web apps it is a pain to host a cross-domain
>> receiver file. So we host one on behalf of developers (called xd_proxy.php).
>> But it is not part of our server-side logic.
>>
>> If you want to write a spec for that, then great, but the <title> hack does
>> not belong in the main spec.
>
> Luke -
>
> A couple of questions for you.
>
> Question #1: In another thread, you mentioned "We require either
> pre-registration of the callback URL, or that the app uses a standard
> redirect URL on Facebook.com (which could only be used by a desktop
> app)."
>
> It sounds like both Google and Facebook have needed to provide a
> standard way for desktop applications to receive callback URLs, and
> that we've both opted to do so by hosting a page on our own site.
>
> What approach does your callback URL use for passing the authorization
> code down to the desktop app?

We suggest developers use the user-agent flow, and retrieve the access token
after the fragment in the URL. We include links for .NET, Adobe Air, and
Objective C libraries. We haven't really run into issues with desktop apps for
which this is not possible (to my knowledge).

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/desktop

> And do you see value in standardizing that approach?

You mentioned that there were desktop apps that aren't able to read the URL
values, but which can read the <title> value of apps - I know both Yahoo and
Google mentioned this. If you can show that this type of app is a common
scenario, then I can see some value in making it widespread. For now I haven't
really seen a lot of examples of this in the wild such that it's worth
standardizing.

One way to standardize this would be to host a file on a common domain -
initially probably something like google.com, and then later perhaps a file on
oauth.org or somewhere. It could use Javascript or server-side logic to
intercept the access token and display it in the <title>. Providers would need
to accept redirect_uri values that contain that well known URL.

But it is much easier for a provider to just say "Oh, you're using
oauth.org/desktoptitleauth.html? okay" than it is to implement the desktop
title trick themselves.

> (We settled on the <title> hack because it was very portable.  But
> it's pretty ugly, and we'd love something better.)
>

> Question #2: most of the installed app developers we talk to ask how
> they can provide some sort of display name for their application, both
> on the approval page and on the revocation page.  Do you see the same
> requirement, and if so how do you meet it?

We don't allow unregistered applications. When an app registers their
client_id, they can specify a name and multiple sizes of icons.