On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Dirk Balfanz <balf...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Nat Sakimura <sakim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a fundamental question.
>>
>> While separating signature and payload by a dot "." seems ok,
>> I still have not the answer for the question "why not make everything
>> into JSON and base64url it?".
>>
>> i.e., Right now, you are proposing:
>>
>> base64url_encode(JSON(payload,envelope)).base64url_encode(signature)
>>
>> Why not
>>
>> base64url_encode(JSON(payload,envelope,signature)
>
> You need to say what exactly the signature is over. Presumably, it's over
> some representation of the payload and envelope, but you need to specify
> exactly which representation. So in this case you would have to say
> something like "the signature is over the concatenation of the
> base64-encodings of the JSON-encodings of the payload and envelope", or
> something along those lines. If you did exactly this, then you would base-64
> encode twice. Similar issues come up if you change the definition of what
> the signature is over slightly.

I did not spell out my question correctly. The pseudo code was very misleading.
By "JSON()" I was meaning something similar to magic signature json encoding
or something similar because I was mainly comparing JSON Token and
Magic Signature.
Of course, that cannot be read from what I wrote. Sorry for that.

My question is:
"why not just use a profiled/modified version of Magic Signature"

I do not want to have two signature methods.
If the currently proposed signature method can be unified with magic signature,
it would be great.

--
Nat Sakimura (=nat)
http://www.sakimura.org/en/