In the WG meeting at Maastricht, I have been asked to write down my requirements regarding Discovery. And here they are:

Assumptions: Discovery allows a compliant client to automatically obtain all deployment specific data required to securely access a particular resource servers as well as its respective authorization server for the purpose of obtaining access tokens.

Starting point of the discovery process is a resource URL. This URL can be hard-coded into the client, bundled with the applications resources or manually configured by the end-user at runtime.

1) Client -> Resource
The client uses the resource URL to obtain resource-specific data, such as
a) one URI refering to its authorization server
b) a definition of all scopes of the resource
c) additional data, e.g. supported signature methods and algorithms

I do not make any assumption about how many requests are processed in order to gather this information and whether there will be any levels of indirections (e.g. from resource to resource server).

2) Client -> Authz Server
The authz server URI obtained in step 1 is used to gather the following data from the authz server:
a) endpoint URLs (end-user authorization, tokens, ...)
b) information about the server's capabilities, e.g. the supported response (end-user authorization endpoint) and grant types (tokens endpoint)

The client stores the authz server's discovery URL along with the token(s) it obtains for further use.

And that's it from my point of view. I would very much appreciate if we could have a discussion towards a consensus about discovery requirements.

regards,
Torsten.