Hi Hannes,

Regarding UMA's "security use cases", indeed we haven't been producing formal
use cases in a form that readily maps to what this group is looking for.
However, I've reproduced below the comments I sent you privately on your OAuth
signature thoughts doc (too late for your IETF submission editing round); they
contain specific descriptions and pointers to a major security requirement of
UMA that relates to this discussion.

        Eve

====

- The Alice/Bob/Carol language is a bit distracting.  I kept scribbling "authz
server" etc. on my copy to make sure I had it straight. Given that you're
talking about OAuth specifically, do you think using real OAuth terminology
would be okay?

- (Nit:) At the bottom of page 2, I couldn't understand "...and in managing a
resource that is work delegating access to."

- I think there's a threat missing, something like "token replay" (but that
doesn't seem quite right).  This is where the Alice language is holding me
back!  If Alice == client, the token might be stolen by a malicious client Eve
(or Alice might maliciously give it to Eve to use), then used at Bob as if Eve
were Alice.  Naming all the threats "token <something>" makes it hard to decide
what to call it, but left to my own devices I'd call it "client correlation".
OAuth seems to want to put this out of scope, but it's a real problem for UMA,
given that our authorization server and resource server might be in different
administrative domains.  You can see the problem statement here:

http://groups.google.com/group/kantara-initiative-uma-wg/browse_frm/thread/cafa098084c7c208/703617741a124124?lnk=gst&q=step+3#703617741a124124

...and our current (very constrained and signature-free!) solution in Step 3
here:

http://mrtopf.clprojects.net/uma/draft-uma-core.html

One of the reasons we want to be able to point to/build on an OAuth signing
solution is that a short token lifetime isn't very performant/scalable.  But
we're inclined to leave our simple solution in place as mandatory-to-implement.

- Another thing that's probably worth observing is that OAuth thinks of a token
as either containing real assertions or being an artifact that can be
referenced to get to assertions.  But UMA's treatment is entirely consistent
too: a token stands for an authorization decision, with all the specifics of
assertions/claims pushed exclusively to the Alice/Carol (client/authz server)
communication.