On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Francisco Corella <fcore...@pomcor.com>wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thank you very much for sending the links to the artifact binding home page
> and spec.  I've had a quick look, and maybe I'm missing something, but it
> seems that this completely ignores the problem of authenticating the relying
> party.  In section 7.4.1, the RP registers on the fly just by telling the OP
> who it claims to be, and the OP takes the RP's word for it without any
> verification and issues a client_secret.  Same as OpenID Connect.

7.4.1 was taken from OpenID Connect proposal. Primary mode for Artifact
Binding was the Asymmetric Keys.
Whether allowing dynamic association is entirely at the discretion of the
IdP.
I can imagine that IdP whitelisting or using whitelist from a trust
framework will be the main mode of operation. This is not going to be in the
protocol spec, but should be dealt with the Profiles that are defined by
some sort of Trust Framework.

> OpenID 2.0 at least goes to the trouble of asking the user whether he/she
> trusts the realm, and then verifying the return_url against the realm.  I
> don't think that's sufficient, but it's better than nothing.

ABC may go much further than this, especially when using the asymmetric
signatures and encryption. Whether the IdP is going to be operating in that
mode is dependent on what kind of Trust Framework it is going to use. We
should not conflate the protocol and the trust framework issues.

FYI, the refactoring that we are doing for ABC spec right now is:

0. Signature, Encryption and Token. (JWT)
1. Core: defines the message format and abstract protocols.
2. Protocol Binding binds the Core into a specific flow/protocols.
3. Profiles (which are to be defined by the Trust Frameworks) further
constrains the bindings.
4. Discovery
5. Dynamic Registration
6. Session Management