We are chartered to produce one such generic HTTP authentication scheme:

"The Working Group will also define a generally applicable
  HTTP authentication mechanism (i.e., browser-based "2-leg"
  scenario)."

My team is using MAC outside of OAuth. Also keep in mind that MAC is not a
working group item or document. It is an individual submission aimed at
producing an HTTP authentication scheme that is useful on its own but with
OAuth binding.

> >> I can see this as a potential problem. But considering that there
> >> wasn't much objection to use "OAuth" as a scheme name before (total
> >> overlap with OAuth 1, and the suggested solution was to look for the
> >> signature
> >> parameter) I don't see how this is suddenly an issue.
> >
> > There was pretty strong objection to reusing OAuth.
>
> Yes, because there was no sub-scheme nor version (and the grammar was
> totally broken). Even so, lots of implementations went ahead and did it.
> Were there any scheme switching issues we are aware of?

There was a wide range of reasons. At the end, we are talking about a literal
string. Code doesn't care what humans make of it.

> >> Why is this a downside only for this option?
> >
> > Because the other options get this for free by using the WWW-
> Authenticate header (since each scheme has a unique name). You can list
> multiple headers in the 401 response.
>
> I thought we dropped WWW-Authenticate. Why cannot WWW-Authenticate
> work for sub-schemes as well?

It can. But it is not as trivial. With different schemes, the existing 2617
framework does everything for you. You just include multiple headers. With
sub-schemes, it is awkward to repeat the same scheme multiple times (but
probably allowed), so you need to define some key="value, value, value" format
for specifying multiple sub-schemes. And then if each sub-scheme has other
parameters, it gets tricky.

IOW, you are moving functionality provided to you by HTTP into one you are
making up. What's the point? Where is the value? I think the core difference
here is you are more concerned about the HTTP scheme namespace and I am more
concerned about inventing new authentication framework facilities.

EHL