Definitely,  we have many common ideas!

I think we need to get an I-D out with a crisp proposal.

Igor

Kristoffer Gronowski wrote:
Hi Igor!

That is exactly what I would like to explore!
My thinking was that the authorization server should be quite simple.
There should be no advanced things like a policy server inside it.

As long as the authorization (AS) and the resource servers (RS) use the same
identity source (or trusted federation of it).
I was thinking of a simple interface that can work in layers.
1) The RS can ask the AS is this a valid token yes/no
2) Is this a valid token containing the following scopes?
3) Was this a token issued by a particular user X. (Based on sharing or
trusting in the identity source)

Or a combination of the above. In this way you can at least do a good
separation of concerns.
Except of the answer if the criteria was met I have been experimenting also in
returning metadata from the AS so that a RS interceptor can be built.
You would get all data about token lifetime, scopes attached and owner
information.
This would be a combination with the request input parameters. So you can start
off with making sure that #1 is valid.
Since the token needs to have been generated by the AS.
Then if you have a more dynamic policy that is very endpoint specific it is far
easier to implement it in code then in a general purpose policy server.

Then you can easily implement things like this protected resource needs scope X
or Y Mon-Fri while Z on weekends.
Another advantage is that the same code can work on your behalf in discovery
mode to actually give you a clue what is needed at this very moment to access.
The AS is just following strict rules and giving facts to you as a RS.

It is a pretty clean design but I am sure that it will not fit everyone's needs.
And I am not saying that policy server would go away but for simple REST
services this is a powerful framework where you do not have to mash all of you
implementation into one big thing.

So that it why I was thinking that it might be a candidate for an optional
interface that might be good to have.
With it people can develop Oauth protected services quicker since there is more
ready code to start from.

Does this still fit your vision too described this way?

BR Kristoffer