The use case is very straightforward:

- SAML provides session management. Facebook Connect provides session
management. Both use cookies. These are authentication protocols but common
usages of both SAML and FB Connect imply authorization grants.
- OpenID2.0 does not provide session management. This has proven to reduce
the value of OpenID and make it unsuitable for many scenarios.

We would like federation protocols based on OAuth2 to be high-value. We
would rather that they not be be hacks built on top of OAuth2. That means
that we need a first-order concept of cookie. A cookie can be refreshed
independent of the grant associated with it. A cookie is something the
client holds on to that identifies the user (i.e., it's for user-client
authentication), but that the client is happy to outsource the management of
security/crypto/logged-in/logged-out state to the server.

The cookie is produced and returned by the server, in combination with a
grant, but it can be refreshed independently.

This is a solid and proven use case, and is of fundamental value to many
planned OAuth2 implementations.

--
Breno de Medeiros