Last call comments on draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-03:

Section 2.1:

- ABNF includes '1#auth-param', but no prose is provided about how new
parameters may be defined. There is no reason for this scheme to be extensible,
given its designed simplicity and limitations. If more attributes are needed in
the future, a new scheme must be defined.

- RWS should be replaces with SP since the header has no other attributes (and
should not have any). This will make parsing easier by mandating a single space
(unless HTTPbis has other guidelines).

Section 2.4:

- Realm is a required attribute per RFC 2617. While discussions about this are
on-going in HTTPbis (open issue), this document must comply with the current
standard. If the WG feels strongly about it, it should engage the HTTPbis
working group and provide feedback.

- ABNF includes '( token "=" ( token / quoted-string ) )', but no prose is
provided about how new parameters may be defined. Retained this extensibility
point must be justified with actual use cases.

Section 2.4.1:

- Why are the HTTP error code suggested and not required?

Section 4.1.1:

- There is no 'Additional Resource Request Parameters' in the template - remove.
- Missing 'Additional Token Endpoint Response Parameters: None'.

Section 4.2:

- The entire registry is ridiculous. Protected resource endpoints are
completely within the authority of the resource provider. The fact that this
document defines the 'oauth_token' parameter which infringes on the provider's
namespace is bad enough. To suggest that this document has any authority over
other parameters defined and used by the resource server is overreaching. No
single use cases has been suggested for this registry in over three years of
OAuth work.

Section 4.2.2.2:

- There is no 'error' parameter for resource responses. It is not defined
anywhere in this specification or elsewhere. There is an 'error' attribute
defined for the WWW-Authenticate header, but so is 'error_description' and
'error_uri'.  How exactly is this parameter added to the resource response if
not in the header? If it is in the header, there is no such location in the
registry (nor is header extensibility discussed see 2.4).

Section 4.3:

- This registry is unnecessary and adds no value here (namespace collision is
unlikely in general, and unlikely to cause problems). No use cases where
suggested to justify it, and no additional error codes were proposed in over a
year of discussions. Error codes were intentionally left non-extensible to
increase interoperability. If addition color is needed for existing error
codes, additional response parameters may be registered. Otherwise, if new
error codes are needed, a new RFC must be published updating
draft-ietf-oauth-v2.
- The only way to define such a registry is to bring it up as a comment for
draft-ietf-oauth-v2. Otherwise, it is limited to the Bearer token header only
(and since this document is not extensible, not needed even here).

This document is not ready for publication.

EHL